Tuesday 3 February 2015

Every Mom Needs a Hobby...or 3: Polymer Clay Jewelry


polymer clay necklaceThis hobby developed a little differently than others I've gotten in to. I had heard of and seen some polymer clay creations and to put it frankly, I wasn't impressed. It seemed to revolve mostly around miniature food, which is cute enough, but didn't really do it for me.

Of course, I hadn't seen much, had never searched the web (which I now spend a shameless amount of time doing and am always thoroughly impressed), and had based my opinion solely on the few examples I'd seen previously.

One day hubby decided that it would be good for me to get into some creative hobby type thing. I think he realized that I needed a break from being a mom all the time and that a creative outlet would give me the space I needed to just breathe.

After some gentle persuasion which included going and buying the clay and a few basic tools himself, he sat at the table with me for a clay-playing session, It wasn't long before I became hooked.


After a few creations which I gave as gifts to family and friends, I decided to open a little Etsy store and see if anything would sell.

While I don't currently have time to properly manage and maintain my Etsy store, I do get a few sales here and there. The main idea, however, was for me to have something aside from teaching and caring for the kids, and for that, it worked wonders.


My eldest has also developed an interest in clay working and has spent many happy hours next to me creating Minecraft themed pendants and clay sculptures for her and her sister to play with.

Here are a few samples of my jewelry:

polymer clay steampunk necklace

polymer clay necklace

polymer clay necklace

polymer clay necklace

polymer clay steampunk necklace
polymer clay bracelet

polymer clay steampunk necklace


polymer clay necklace

I can't stress enough what a blessing it's been to have a hobby (or 3) on the side. It's helps me blow of steam after a particularly trying day, I have an outlet for my creativity and best of all I have a sense of accomplishment having created something unique. 

No comments :

Post a Comment